I have an Addictive Personality: I love Reading, I love Learning & I love Interesting Discussions. I also love Problem Solving, Coding & Designing. Lately the first 3 have been getting in the way of the last 2 – this is a problem since I have projects, jobs & applications that need to get done. So I’m iterating on how to organize the chaos that is my mind.
- No Facebook or Tumblr in the morning. Read Medium instead.
- Tumblr & Facebook are blocked on StayFocusd. Time Limit: 90 min.
- Use Facebook & Tumblr one-directionally whenever possible (Post – Don’t Read)
- Keep a maximum of 3 Sublime Text Projects open at any given time.
- Use Asana to account for the possibility of forgetting ideas/projects
- Daily Email Schedule – Only check email during those times
- Filter & unsubscribe from all unnecessary & recurring emails
- Turned off Badge Notifications for Facebook & Email
Considerations & Drawbacks:
- Medium is potentially as high of a time waster as Facebook/Tumblr. It’s also a better time waster because I’m reading content tailored to the skills I need to build
- There are a lot of interesting things on Medium, perhaps make a rule to check the Design Tag, and maybe a Programming Tag too.
- That may be too much allowed time for StayFocusd. Cutting back time may cut off necessary/beneficial socialization
- How many times Should I check my Email a day? What about missing urgent/conversational communications?
That’s what I’ve got for now… I’ll keep iterating & adding rules as I find them necessary!